Sunday, August 15, 2010

August Birthdays

August is chock-ful of birthdays around here.  Ryan's is the 5th, my mil's is the 11th, Jeff's the 13th, Ella-Kathryn's the 15th, and my dad's is coming up!  So, we do alot of celebrating:)  This week alone we've gone out to dinner, hosted a BBQ and then EK's friend party.  Whew!  But it's been such a sweet time - experiencing the celebration of Ryan's first birthday was truly amazing.  As I've said before, looking back to his rocky start makes the birthday all the sweeter.  And, my baby girl is 6!  Oh man alive - that one is a hard pill to swallow.  She wants a sister so bad, and I will NEVER be done having babies, except that my husband is SO done, so we're at a bit of a crossroads.  I still have a heart to adopt (no more biologicals for us thanks so modern medicine:)) and Jeff most certainly says no.  When explaining this to my daughter, I made the mistake of telling her that only God could change daddy's heart, soften it to the idea of adoption.  So, every night now she prays,"Dear God, please soften daddy's heart so we can have a brown baby girl."  Oh my goodness - I am hoping God answers this one!  But, this will be a great lesson in spiritual discipline (praying,) obedience (for when He gives us an answer,) and understanding (because I don't foresee Jeff's heart changing on this one!) 
In the meantime, we are in the throes of some major sin-exposure.  Homeschooling and the intimacy of relationship that occurs in this new "all-kids all-the -time" environment has brought to light some glaring heart issues, for them and me!  I am trying to embrace this:)  God has given us the time together so let's use it well!  If that means skipping a math page in favor of addressing the sin, then I'm all for it.  But, as you all well know, dealing with sin is rarely easy.  Not often is it just, let's sit down and talk about it, read some scripture, pray and ta-da, you're fixed!  Tempting to handle it that way, but I've not had success with the hit-it-and-quit method.
So there you are - a quick update of us.  The pics are from the parties - Ryan got his cake Fri night - loved it!  EK had a great time at her party too:)  Sweet girlfriends and thoughtful gifts - hope they stay friends forever!

No comments: